Monday, August 1, 2011
Steam Room Benefits
Benefits of steam bathing is that it has a stimulating effect on the cardiovascular system. The pulse rate increases from 75 beats per minute (average) to between 100 - 150 beats per minute during a 15 - 20 minute session. This increases blood circulation but not blood pressure, since the heat causes the tiny blood vessels in the skin to expand, accommodating the increased blood flow.
Steam bathing and thus steam inhalation is an effective treatment in respiratory conditions and is highly recommended for the treatment of the common cold, sinusitis, bronchitis, allergies and asthma.
1. Steam relieves inflammation and congestion of the upper respiratory membranes.
2. Steam relieves throat irritation by moistening the air.
3. Steam relieves spasmodic breathing (asthma, croup).
4. Steam loosens secretions and stimulates discharges of mucous from the throat and lungs.
5. Steam relaxes muscles and relieves coughing.
6. Steam keeps the mucous membranes from excessive drying.